It’s hard to believe that this is my 100th post for The Cat’s Cradle. So, after some consideration, I decided to make a special announcement:
I am now offering editing services! I’ve always liked editing. It’s like polishing a gem, smoothing rough edges and cutting the facets. And I love taking a rough work and helping another writer improve upon it. Taking an unbiased view of your own work can be difficult, especially if you’ve been immersed in its world for months, even years. I am posting a list of the services I will offer below. I will also create an “Editing Services” page for easy future reference.
I have a Bachelor’s of Arts in English and have been an amateur editor for the better part of ten years. I am also a reader, a fantasy writer, and librarian. I can guarantee high-quality, detail-oriented results delivered in a timely and courteous fashion. Any questions or points to be negotiated? Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Developmental Editing (big picture review on pacing, flow, strengths and weaknesses of the work as a whole, major structural changes suggested)
- Line Editing (points out specific places where the manuscript is particularly strong or weak and suggests changes)
- Proofreading/Copyediting (punctuation, spelling, grammar, word choice, sentence structure, continuity errors)
I edit fiction novels, novellas, and short stories, specializing in science fiction and fantasy. Movie or stage scripts will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Nonfiction and technical submissions will not be accepted. I retain the right to decline any project.
** Unless otherwise specified by the client, I focus on Developmental and Line editing when I receive an assignment. If a manuscript has few large flaws, then proofreading/copyediting may be included.
$2.00 per page. A manuscript page is 250 words, as per the Editorial Freelancers Association Guidelines. I will edit the first 10 pages of a manuscript for first-time clients at no charge to see if the client is comfortable with my editing style. If those 10 pages are resubmitted later for further editing, they will be included in calculating the total fee. If the assignment is a short story with a length of 10 pages or less, I will edit half of them for free.
**If you only want one of the three editing options listed above, then the fee is $1.00 per page.
SPECIAL OPENING OFFER! From April 21, 2014 to May 21, 2014, I am offering my services at a discount! Fees will be $1 per page for two or more editing options and $0.50 per page for just one.
Method of payment:
50% of the fee is due before commencement of any assignment. The remaining 50% is due after completion of the assignment and confirmed receipt by the client. Payment is currently via PayPal only.
Please allow 7 days per 100 pages. Response time may be faster depending on the depth of the editing and my day job’s schedule. If more time is needed, you will be contacted to see if an extension is feasible. If you have a deadline requiring a faster turnaround, the price will be increased by $1 per remaining page per 100 remaining pages. (For example, if you require 200 pages to be edited in 3 days, the price will go from the original $400 to $600. If I’ve edited 125 pages and receive an email saying you need it done in 2 days rather than 6, then it would be $3 per page for the remaining 75 pages.)
- The client may send a request for editorial services with a description of the project and the editing services requested (proofreading/copy-editing, line editing, and/or development editing) to email@example.com. Please include a 1-2 page sample of the manuscript you wish edited.
- A manuscript can be edited in separate sessions by client request. For example, if a client has a 200 page manuscript but can only afford to have 100 pages edited at the time, they may submit those first 100 pages, and send the rest at another time for a separate fee.
- Please attach a Rich Text or Word Document to your request. I also have access to Google Docs, if that is preferred. If for any reason I cannot open the file, I will contact you and we will find a compatible format. Editing will begin as soon as I have confirmed receipt of payment and the document.
- A copy of the document will be returned via email to the client upon completion of the assignment. The suggested edits will be marked in red. A letter addressing overarching developmental issues and suggestions may be included. If you have any questions regarding my edits or suggestions, please contact me.
- If a client chooses to terminate the contract prior to completion, the 50% down payment will not be refunded.
- I retain the right to refuse service to any client.
All editing suggestions that do not involve proofreading/copy editing are subject to my own opinions. Large changes in the story are to be made your own discretion. I try to keep any and all changes as close to the original tone, outline, and vision of the author as much as possible. I try to respect the story and the characters in it. If my suggestions conflict with your vision of the story, you are, of course, under no obligation to use them.
I look forward to working with you!